Don't Sleep on the Movies


    It’s been a tough year for movies. Delays upon delays, most movies hitting streaming services just to survive their budgets, and a fairly lackluster lineup has left the movie theater fairly unappealing to a lot of people. I totally get that. Throughout this pandemic, I’ve questioned whether I really enjoy movies anymore. Me, Randy McLeod, the movie guy. But it’s true. I realized that I need that theater excitement, I need the countdown towards a new release. Above all else, I need that buttery popcorn. But the more I look ahead, the more I realize that movies are back, and are picking up steam. This fall/winter lineup is looking to be non-stop, and I could not be more excited. So, this blog post is going to be a bit different. I’m going to be highlighting upcoming releases that are on my radar, and hopefully can put them on yours as well.

Last Night in Soho

Last Night in Soho has pure goodwill from me. You may not know the name Edgar Wright, but you’ve probably seen a movie of his. He’s directed movies like Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz, and Baby Driver. His directing style is some of the most creative that we’ve seen from Hollywood in the last decade or so. Last Night in Soho is different from his usual stuff however. Based on the one trailer I’ve seen, Wright has decided to make a bit of a thriller/horror film about travelling between time, from the present day to the 1960’s. Anya Taylor-Joy and Thomasin Mckenzie star, and I can’t wait to see where the story will take me. It comes out this Friday!

Eternals

A bit of a departure from the standard fare of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, Eternals is an origin story of 10 different ancient beings that have come to Earth to aid and defend humanity. Directed by award winning Chloé Zhao, Eternals looks completely different from the cookie-cutter colour palettes of other MCU films, and I can’t wait to see if they can pull off introducing TEN DIFFERENT CHARACTERS. Also, Kumail Nanjiani is in it, which pays for my ticket alone. Comes out November 5th. 

Ghostbusters: Afterlife

After watching the original Ghostbusters for the first time this week, I was… a little disappointed. Ghostbusters has always been a cultural icon, but the film itself is a bit of an oddly-paced mess. I understand why I don’t agree with the masses on the film though: I didn’t grow up with it. Which is why I’m excited to see Ghostbusters: Afterlife. I can get in on the ground floor with it, joining the hype as a new fan (hopefully), rather than coming back to it decades later. Coming out November 19th, this one is a wildcard, and hopefully one that surprises me. 

King Richard

Will Smith in a family drama about tennis. With Jon Bernthal as a costar. I will probably cry. Comes out November 19th as well.  

Spider-Man: No Way Home

I don’t think there’s been this much hype for a movie on a global scale since Avengers: Endgame. A crossover of every Spider-Man there’s been on the big screen (we assume), the return of classic villains, and the big beginning of the multiverse in the MCU. Spider-Man: No Way Home has all the pieces in place to become one of the most exciting super-hero films of all time. And we know almost nothing about it. Hits theaters December 17th, but make sure to get tickets early. This is going to be a sold out show. 

The King’s Man

Kingsman: The Secret Service had no right being as good as it was, while it’s sequel had no right being as mediocre as it was. It looks like the ones in charge decided to cool it on the modern-day franchise for now, opting for a prequel instead. The origins of the very first independent intelligence agency, this film is shaping up to be a lot of fun.  And it looks just as bonkers as the films before it. Stylish and absurd, this film has been cooking in the oven for a while, what with Covid delays and studio mergers, so I’m happy to finally go see it when it hits theaters December 22nd. However, it’s likely going to be overshadowed by…

The Matrix Resurrections

Keanu Reeves returns to bring this franchise back from the dead. The original The Matrix is a classic and holds up unbelievably well these days. While I’ve avoided the sequels like the plague, I can’t help but feel excited for this sequel. A stunning trailer, and a giddiness from the people I follow on Twitter has me second-hand excited to see what a new Matrix could look like, 22 years later. Also, come on. It’s Keanu Reeves. Everyone loves Keanu Reeves. Comes out on December 22nd!

And that does it for this year. The beginning of the year was a little rough, but it’s looking like 2021 will end out on a high note, teeing us up for a bevy of films coming in 2022, including my most anticipated film, The Batman. Thanks for reading, and please, get out to the movies.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In Defence of Blurry Vision

What If...? Series Review

Stories From the Strings (Short Fiction)